Fire Pits & Outdoor Areas: How to Design Them?
There’s a simple way to make your backyard infinitely cozier and more appealing – designing a fire pit. However, before building a fire pit in San Diego, several planning stages await you.
It’s important that you do some research before having a fire pit installed. To create a truly enjoyable outdoor space, you need to consider where you should place your fire pit or how to design the seating area.
What’s more, you need to determine what fire pit size will meet your needs and learn several fire pit safety precautions. Simply put, planning and researching always come before construction, so here’s what you need to know.
How big should a fire pit seating area be?
Without a lounge area around your fire pit, you cannot truly enjoy the soothing, cozy atmosphere this simple element brings to the table. So, designing a seating area is definitely a must if you’re planning to spend chilly evenings with your friends around the warm fire.
When it comes to the seating area design and size, it will greatly depend on the available space and the fire pit itself. When determining the size of your fire pit lounge area, you should:
- Mind the scale. You don’t want your fire pit to be too small or big for your lounge zone. So, make sure to choose a size that will complement the fire pit.
- Pick the right spot. Not only is this essential for ensuring your safety and minimizing the risk of fire, but it will also help you accentuate the fire pit. Typically, fire pits aren’t placed in the outdoor dining space, but in the relaxation zone which is linked to the main area.
- Create a smooth transition. For a cohesive look, you need to make sure your fire pit lounge zone is connected to the rest of your patio and home. You can choose similar design elements to visually connect different areas.
- Consider the traffic flow. You should have enough room to comfortably sit and move around when necessary. So, make sure to leave enough leg room and choose a functional design that will maximize flexibility.
Do fire pits keep you warm?
One of the main reasons why homeowners choose to add fire pits to their homes is to keep them warm and cozy during colder weather conditions. However, how much heat your fire pit will emit will depend on several factors, including the type of fire pit, its size, distance from the seating area, etc.
In general, a wood fire pit is likely to emit more heat than a gas or propane fire pit. Of course, there are additional considerations to keep in mind when it comes to fire pits and heat. So, you should consider discussing this with your preferred fire pit provider. They can advise you on every aspect of fire pit design, from picking the right size to ensuring it heats your outdoor area.
Are fire pits safe?
If not constructed, installed, and maintained properly, fire pits can be a major hazard. This is why it’s essential to inform yourself about their design, placement, and the like as much as possible. If you take all the necessary fire pit safety precautions and follow the required codes and regulations, you’ll be able to minimize possible risks and create a safe, enjoyable zone.
Here are a few safety tips that you should follow:
- Always use your fire pit the way your provider instructed you.
- Clean and maintain your fire pit, disposing of the burnt wood and ashes in a safe manner.
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby and avoid putting out the fire with water, especially if you have a gas fire pit.
- Don’t cover your fire pit until it cools down and make sure to use a special protective cover designed for that purpose.
Our fire pit pros in San Diego are the ones to rely on
Here at Pacific Dreamscapes, we specialize in landscape designs that no one can say no to. Our team is highly experienced in turning outdoor areas into lovely sanctuaries that feature the beauty that can match the appeal and tranquility of Sunset Cliffs Natural Park.
So, if you’ve decided to beautify your backyard with a fire pit or some other landscaping elements, you should contact us because we’re the right people for the job! We’ll go above and beyond to accommodate your needs, creating a landscape that suits your style and preferences. Schedule a consultation today!