Important Fire Pit Safety Considerations
Having become an essential design element, fire pits can now be seen in charming backyards around the world. You can find a vast selection of fire pits in San Diego that will turn your outdoor space into a true haven.
However, it’s of the utmost importance that you ensure proper fire pit safety levels to protect your family and property. From choosing the right fire pit size to putting it in the right place, there are so many things you need to consider when building a fire pit. You also need to carefully consider the placement and size of your seating area around the fire pit.
Only when you’re familiar with all the safety precautions can you truly relax and enjoy your fire pit to the fullest.
How do I protect my fire pit?
Making sure that your fire pit is properly secured will not only ensure its durability and long-lasting appeal, but also protect you and your family members. This entails both maintaining your fire pit properly and protecting it during unfavorable weather conditions.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Inform yourself about relevant codes. Knowing what codes and regulations San Diego has for recreational or other types of fire will help you protect yourself, others and your property. It will also determine certain design considerations.
- Choose the right spot. It goes without saying that you shouldn’t choose a windy location for your fire pit or one that’s too close to inflammable structures.
- Pick the right materials. If you go with inadequate stones, for instance, there’s a chance they may explode if they overheat.
- Hire experienced contractors. Although many people see this as an easy DIY project, it actually requires plenty of knowledge, experience and skill, so it’s advisable that you leave it to the pros.
- Don’t burn everything. Be careful about what materials you burn in your fire pit. Pressure-treated lumber and trash should be avoided while natural, dry wood is the safest option.
- Avoid extinguishing fire with water. This can damage your fire pit, so it’s always better to leave it to extinguish on its own. If the fire gets out of control or you need to put it out quickly, you should use fire extinguishers or contact the fire department.
- Clean it properly. Regular and adequate maintenance is essential for ensuring the durability of your fire pit. Maintenance methods can vary depending on the type of the fire pit you have, so you should seek advice from your contractor.
Should I cover my fire pit?
One of the easiest ways to protect your fire pit during winter and heavy rain is to use a protective cover. This will minimize the risk of damage since this type of cover is made of high-quality, weather-proof materials such as vinyl, plastic, nylon, or canvas.
Some homeowners think that using a tarp is enough to protect their fire pits. However, it’s always better to use a high-quality cover because it doesn’t cost much, yet it can last for years.
In addition, if you want to cover a fire pit after using it, you should wait for it to cool down completely. You should even wait for the next morning to cover it if you used it in the evening.
Can a gas fire pit be used under a covered patio?
Using a fire pit under a covered patio isn’t always a great idea, but there are a few cases in which it’s possible. The most important consideration is what type of fire pit you want to place under it. For example, using a wooden fire pit under a covered patio is not allowed because sparks can start flying around and cause a fire.
On the other hand, you can place a gas fire pit under a covered patio but only if it has been pre-approved by the city authorities beforehand. However, you still need to consider the following factors:
- Ceiling height
- Flooring materials
- Location & minimum distance
We’re your #1 experts for fire pits in San Diego
If you need a stylish, cozy and safe fire pit, we’re the ones to call. Here at Pacific Dreamscapes, we have vast experience in building different types of fire pits. We will take your requests and preferences into consideration and provide you with a fire pit that perfectly fits your space. Then, after relaxing on Mission Beach during the day, you can cozy up by the fire on a chilly summer evening. Get in touch with us today!